Sunday, March 1, 2009

34 - True Colors; Kristin Hannah















True Colors was one of those books that I could not wait to get my hands on; I thought the cover was gorgeous. Unfortunately once I finished listening to the audio version I felt a little disappointed. In my opinion, this was not Kristin Hannah at her best.

The story begins in 1979 and takes place in Washington State. It is about three very different sisters, Winona, Aurora, and Vivi Ann whose mother dies of cancer when they are at an impressionable age. Their father is strict and seems to care more about his image, and less about the emotional needs of his daughters. To fill the void in their lives, the sisters though very different, form strong bonds, but as adults normal jealousy and sister rifts come into play.

The story seemed to focus more on the oldest and the youngest sister. While the descriptions of Oyster Shores, Puget Sound and the ranch were beautiful, I found that this was just another one of those so so stories that left me feeling like I've "been there and read that" so many times before. I also found the the reader's voice got to me after a while. If you are looking for a vacation or beach read, generally you can't go wrong with Kristin Hannah, but if you are looking for a memorable story that will stick with you long after the final page, this book is not the one I would recommend.

RATING - 2.5/5 - COMPLETED - 3/1/09
WHERE FROM: Library

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! I have this one on my shelf. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad. The cover really is beautiful. Still, I'm glad to know this is one book I can leave off the TBR list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, disappointing. I just got this one from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a bummer. I loved Firefly Lane and was looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty cover. I was hoping this would be a good story - I have it on my shelves too. Oh well, I'll give it a try and keep the expectations low.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read another review of this book that was more favorable, but which also pointed out some of the flaws you mention. I am sorry this one turned out to be disappointing. I haven't yet read anything by this particular author, but I do hope to read Firefly Lane at some point this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.