Saturday, April 18, 2009

61 - The Daily Coyote; Shreve Stockton


Shreve Stockton's, The Daily Coyote: A Story of Love, Survival, and Trust in the Wilds of Wyoming, was an interesting audio book ( I also had the printed version from the library for the amazing photographs). Shreve Stockton tells the story of she ended up falling in love with a small town of 300 in Wyoming, when she really intended to drive a scooter all the way from San Francisco to New York City.

In Wyoming, Shreve became romantically involved with a cowboy/government trapper whose job was to protect livestock by killing off the coyote population. When he finds an orphaned coyote pup in a den he just smoked out, he gives it to Shreve, and she decides to try and domesticate it. She names the coyote Charlie, and she soon realizes she has traded in her independence when she takes on this task of raising the young pup, and introducing Charlie, the coyote to her cat Eli.



The photos in this book are amazing, especially the ones of Charlie. It seemed a little surprising to me that a city girl like Shreve, could end up living in a rural cabin with no running water, no heat and no inside plumbing.
Although I did enjoy this audio book, something about this book did not settle well with me. The extermination of the coyote population was a little upsetting to me, but then again being the animal lover that I am, I’m opposed to deer hunting as well.

RATING – 4/5 – COMPLETED – 4/18/09
WHERE FROM: Library


5 comments:

  1. I love animals too, and the photo with the cat is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, the photograph of the cat and coyote is absolutely the cutest! Sounds like an interesting book, but I would probobly pick it up only to look at more pics. Animal stories are not my favorite to read for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great. I like to combine audio with print -- sometimes it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would have a problem with the coyote extermination aspects of the book, but it sounds like it was a really good story. My husband and I like to read animal/human interaction books aloud to each other on trips, so this one sounds as if it is a contender for my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a book I would love. I read one about a rancher w/coyotes, Don Coyote, years ago and enjoyed it much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.