Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday - The Heights

 
Waiting On” Wednesday is hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine.  What book are you waiting for to be released?  Here's my pick:

 
The Heights; Peter Hedges
(Amazon)
Tim Welch is a popular history teacher at the Montague Academy, an exclusive private school in Brooklyn Heights. As he says, "I was an odd-looking, gawky kid but I like to think my rocky start forced me to develop empathy, kindness, and a tendency to be enthusiastic. All of this, I'm now convinced, helped in my quest to be worthy of Kate Oliver." Now, Kate is not inherently ordinary. But she aspires to be. She stays home with their two young sons in a modest apartment trying desperately to become the parent she never had. They are seemingly the last middle-class family in the Heights, whose world is turned upside down by Anna Brody, the new neighbor who moves into the most expensive brownstone in Brooklyn, sending the local society into a tailspin.

Anna is not only beautiful and wealthy; she's also mysterious. And for reasons Kate doesn't quite understand, even as all the Range Rover- driving moms jockey for invitations into Anna's circle, Anna sets her sights on Kate and Tim and brings them into her world.

Like Tom Perrotta, Peter Hedges has a keen eye for the surprising truths of daily life. The Heights is at once light of touch and packed with emotion and depth of character.

20 comments:

  1. The Heights sounds like it will be a good read. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be watching for The Heights. It sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good one - I am a Perotta fan so it sounds like I might like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good! I added it to my TBR List (I love reading books that take place in NYC).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fab book. I love the sound of it. Thanks for picking it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, I wonder what happens when they get to the inner circle. Thanks for visiting The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting! My Waiting on Wednesday pick is here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really looking forward to this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds interesting. I like the cover. I love seeing trees in a residential area. Enjoy it when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I've been waiting for this one too! But it's not what I picked this week . . . Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got realinterested when you mentioned Tom Perrotta!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not seen this one before but it looks like it would be worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds interesting. Tom Perrotta is on my list, too... if he's the one who wrote Little Children.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would wait to hear your thoughts on this one first!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of this one but it sure sounds like it might be a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one sounds like worth a look! Hadn't heard of it previously!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Book blogs are really bad for my piggy bank. Now I want this too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.