Tuesday, March 9, 2010

35 - Buckley's Story; Ingrid King












Buckley's Story is a touching story, and a look at life between a cat and its master.  The author first met Buckley, a tortoiseshell cat who walked with a gimp, while she was managing a Veterinary clinic. She soon fell in love with him. Originally the office greeter-cat, but when Ingrid left her job at the clinic to start her own business, Buckley came home to live with her, and her other tortoise shell cat Amber. After an initial orientation period, the two cats established their own ground rules and got a long well.

After just two years in his new home Buckley was diagnosed with heart disease. What follows in this memoir,  is somewhat of a chronicle from initial diagnosis, treatment, and finally, the realization by Ingrid, of knowing when it was time to let Buckley go.

MY THOUGHTS - Buckley's Story is short but moving story about the joys of living and loving a cat. The story reaffirms how cats can influence and improve the quality of our lives, and how a special animal like Buckley can improve our outlook on life, as well as our overall happiness.  This book is a must-read for cat lovers or those who may be grieving the loss of a pet. RECOMMENDED - 4.5/5 stars
(This book was sent to me by the author for review)

18 comments:

  1. This sounds good but I am afraid it would break my heart to read it. I can't have cats for pets but I have a dog and would relate to how it would feel to have him sick. I'd have to be in the right mood to read this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a cat lover, I'd probably find this story quite touching. Thanks for a great review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a touching book - so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Kathleen - this sounds beautiful, but stories about pets dying are often too much for me :\

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just couldn't read this one at the moment. My beloved dog Jake is getting really old and it seems to be happening very quickly. I am so not prepared for the inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww... that sounds like a moving one! I'm a big animal lover, though not a cat fan. But it'll still take a lot of courage to read that book. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a sweet but sad book. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would probably break my heart to read it too (and I don't even LIKE cats). My two dogs are quite elderly and I know I'll be missing them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathleen, Susan, kathy, Nymeth, and Aths....it is a moving and sometimes story, but I see how it might help someone deal with the inevitable if they have a sick pet.

    Viv....I am so sorry Jake is getting on in years and slowing down. Big Hugs to you and Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cats and dogs. I lost my beloved dog last year, and two months later ended up adopting two kittens destined to be dumped. I took them in, and although at times they drive me crazy because they were born wild and have bad habits, I cannot imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a really touching book. Unfortunately I am sooo not a cat person, but I really like the idea of the book so I might give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love animal stories and this one sounds like another one that I'd read and cry at the same time. Thanks for review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think animals have such a healing quality about them!! Sounds like a great and satisfying read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cat stories. I think I might like this one. I always thought tortishell cats looked kind of odd until I met one that lived across the street as a kid, it was the prettiest, friendliest cat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been so curious about this book, so I am glad to see such an awesome review of it. I also love animal stories and though most of them can be tearjerkers at times, I think this is a book that both my daughter and I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read this last week-however it was very emotional for me-so I am thinking it will take me a while to post about it. I thought she had some great suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I would be a weepy mess if I read this and I am only accepting reading that will make me happy right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My aunt is a cat lover and this sounds like one she would really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.