Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Big Ray; Michael Kimball

Big Ray; Michael Kimball
Bloomsbury - 2013


I have to admit, it was the title and cover with the oversized sunken chair that first attracted me to this book. I hadn't read any reviews prior to beginning this short novel (fewer than 200 pages), and had no idea what to expect.

The story is told through a series of short entries, by Daniel Todd Carrier, the 38 year-old son of Big Ray, now deceased. Big Ray and Daniel's mother were divorced years earlier, and Big Ray, who toppled the scale at 550 lbs, died alone in his small apartment.  His body was found by his landlord who went to collect the rent at the beginning of the month.

From each entry it is easy to see that Daniel is struggling over his father's death and the fact that he died alone.  Each entry adds a piece to the puzzle about the man Big Ray was.  A crude and difficult husband and father, Big Ray grew up poor and as an adult took his anger out on his family and others.  Bitter and angry, he basically ate himself to death as a result of health complications from his morbid obesity.  

The entries also shed light on the kind of man Daniel was: sensitive and kind in contrast to his bigger in life "bully" of a father, the man that Daniel was, deep down, embarrassed to call "dad".  All his life he longed for his father to show some sign of love, but that just never happened.  Some of the entries are disturbing, very sad and difficult to read.  Although this was a work of fiction, it felt more like a memoir, and a theraputic effort written by someone trying to move beyond grief.

3.5/5 stars
(personal copy)

6 comments:

  1. I would have picked this up based on the cover, too. The short entry format is also appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the title and cover too. The book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd enjoy this book. I agree with everyone else, that cover caught my attention right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a good review. I love that cover and title, too. It sounds like a book I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chair and title beg me to read the book too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.